In Spring 2020 NALA conducted a survey of opinions on the languages curriculum and disadvantaged students. The report on the findings of that survey can be found here: The languages curriculum and disadvantaged students – National Association of Language Advisers.
There is now a revised curriculum for GCSE : French, German and Spanish GCSE subject content (publishing.service.gov.uk) Boards have submitted sample assessment materials:
- AQA: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/french/specifications/AQA-8652-SP-2024.pdf
- Eduqas: https://www.eduqas.co.uk/home/modern-foreign-language-gcses-for-2024/
- Edexcel: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/french-2024.html
NALA would like to gather opinion on this new GCSE:
- to what extent it further disadvantages those who are already disadvantaged.
- any new challenges the new GCSE will pose for teachers and learners in terms of disadvantage.
- the extent to which colleagues feel the new GCSE will meet its aims.
Above is the link to our second survey on the GCSE in languages and disadvantaged students. We would be really grateful if you could spare some of your time to complete the updated survey. Please share widely around your networks so that we get as full a picture as possible.